Sunday, December 22, 2013

New Study Reveals Full Emotional Impact of Tooth Loss

Imagine losing your front tooth because of an injury. Do you see yourself still going to work or school the following day? Or would you rather stay at home until you get an immediate replacement?
Losing a tooth is never seen as a disability, but experts at Newcastle University in the UK were astounded by the impact tooth loss had on people. Thirty nine men and women who had experienced tooth loss and replacement from the North East of England participated in the study.  The study published in the journal Sociology of Health and Illness found that participants were devastated by their tooth loss. Some compared it to losing an arm or leg, others reported that they avoided leaving their homes.
Larry (65)
“It’s devastating when you break a tooth off, when that front one went, it was like losing one of the children. Honestly. Because I’d always had – I thought there was never a problem with those ones at the front … But no, it is devastating when you lose teeth because it’s part of you.”
Sandra (60)
“I always used to look in the mirror when I cleaned my teeth and go round my teeth like this and when I get to the gap, I go ‘Oh’. I feel sorry for myself actually. Do you understand that? It’s like… I feel like an old lady, suddenly I feel like an old lady. It’s aged me psychologically. Having this tooth missing.”
Continue reading here.